I've had a Borders bookstore gift card tucked away since Mother's Day and I've been waiting for the perfect time to use it. With a 33% of coupon in my hand, yesterday it was finally time. I knew what I wanted.
The Pioneer Woman Cooks. PW (Pioneer Woman) has a blog that I read quite often. I've tried a couple of her recipies before and drooled over plenty of them so I just knew I wanted this book.
Thanks PW for the use of this image from your site http://www.thepioneerwoman.com/
You see, I don't particularly enjoy cookbooks without pictures. But because her website is filled with gorgeous photos, I knew that her cookbook would be too. She definately didn't dissapoint. And let me tell you, had I been in town while she was at the Mall of America signing books - I would have been there waiting in line for hours with the rest of the PW crazies fans.
While M and I were at Borders I decided I wanted to get a book set to help K with learning to read. She's mastered all of the basic sounds of the alphabet and can sound out many basic words but needs some actual reading practice. I came across the BOB Books a while ago and they were reccomended for early readers by one of the librarians here in town. (Just don't ask me why they are called BOB books, I have no idea, they aren't about anyone named BOB.)
I'm oh-so-proud of my little reader. It's only taken a little bribery arm twisting encouragement to get her to sit down and read with me. So far, she's been able to read the first 3 on her own.
We've also been working on some kindergarden sight words that I found on the internet. Which reminds me, is it normal for 5 year olds to have trouble with the word "the" - because she can't seem to get that one. I hope it's just temporary. Anyway, she's doing well - I think. Maybe some of you teachers out there (ahem - half the family...cough cough) can let me know what you think.



2 comments:
I'm so JEALOUS! I want her cookbook and $5 Dinners! So what have you made that I must make now?!?!?
I think that K is doing GREAT! The kindergarten sight words are the goal to be completed at the end of Kindergarten, so if she's struggling wiht "the", I think it is pretty normal. When you're reading books with her, make it a point to ask her what that word is (i.e. point to "the" and say "What's this word?") Which I'm sure you're already doing! I can also recommend the Dick, Jane, etc. books -- my mom had those at her house and Samantha just picked them up and started reading them! It was awesome!
SO way to go, Mom! She's doing AWESOME! (Can't imagine why she'd be so smart, right? Not with you two as parents!) She sounds like Samantha at that age...and now my first grader is the best reader in her entire grade (100 kids!) and she's reading at a end of 3rd grade/beginning 4th grade reading level!
I've got lots of ideas, too, if you want more, but it sounds like she's doing awesome.
Here's one I must share....www.starfall.com Seriously! Samantha loved it, and now so does Hudson!
Sorry for the LOOOONG post!
LOVE YOu!
HOw are you liking your cookbook then?? I've heard it wonderful.
And yeah on your little reader!
Blessings-
Amanda
Post a Comment