Thursday, April 17, 2008

When the light goes out, her brain turns on...

Why is it that the only time Kaylee want to have a discussion with me is just before I'm ready to leave her room for the night? Seriously, she saves everything up all day long for those few moments when she should be winding down and falling asleep. Instead of talking to me in the car after school or during dinner, or even after dinner...she saves it all up and then tells me, "Mommy, don't go out...I want to talk to you first."

How am I supposed to say no to that one?? I don't want her to think that I don't care about what she has to say but I also don't want her to continue a bad habit of stalling and staying up later.

Last night, I made it out of the room without too much talking. About 10 minutes of quiet time later. I hear her jump out of bed run out of her room and across the hall to my door. She opens the door and:

K: Mommy, when is it going to be Halloween??
Me: Huh?
K: When is it going to be Halloweeeeeennnn?
Me: (laughs) oh, well not for a while. Go back to bed please.
K: But, when mommy??
Me: In October after summer is over.
K: October???
Me: Yes, October...after your birthday is over.
K: My birthday?!?! Like when I was 3.
Me: Yes, Halloween will come after your birthday just like it did after you turned 3. Now get back to bed please.

A few quiet minutes.

K: MOMMMMY!!! WHEN IS MY BIRTHDAY (she's yelling at me from her bed here).

I ignore her and hope she'll just go to sleep. Yeah right.

No comments: